Arnot Art Museum

This organization has listings in more than one category in our directory.
Add to Contact List
Picture Available
Contact Listing Owner
Please fill in this form to send a message by email to the owner of the listing for Arnot Art Museum
First Name  
Last Name
Message Subject  

Contact Information

235 Lake Street
, New York
Get directions
(607) 734-5687

About Us

The Arnot Art Museum is a world-class institution of fine art located at 235 Lake Street in Elmira, New York, and open Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10am - 5pm. A landmark in downtown Elmira, the Museum is housed in the 1833 neo-classical mansion of John Arnot. His son, Matthias H. Arnot, added a Picture Gallery in the 1880’s and bequeathed his home and collection in 1910 to become the Arnot Art Museum, which opened to the public three years later. The Museum displays a permanent collection of seventeenth- to nineteenth-century European paintings, nineteenth- and twentieth-century American art and collections of Asian and Egyptian artifacts. Temporary exhibitions highlight various aspects of the collections and include works from museums around the world.

The Arnot Collection forms the nucleus of the museum’s permanent collection and represents the taste of a nineteenth–century American collector. It is one of the last remaining private collections formed in the past century still housed in its original showcase. It includes works by seventeenth-century masters: Claude, Murillo, Breughel, de Lorme, Teniers, and van de Velde; nineteenth-century French Salon artists: Breton, Gerome, and Meissonier; and six Barbizon painters: Daubigny, Diaz de la Pena, Jacque, Rousseau, Troyon, and Millet; as well as the Realist, Courbet.

A large 1985 addition by Graham Gund Associates provides additional exhibition galleries, housing major temporary exhibitions from around the world as well as a growing collection of contemporary realist art. The museum holds 20th- and 21st-century artists including Burchfield, Davies, Metcalf, Henri, Assael, Bigbee, Cadmus, Maury, and Nerdrum.

The nineteenth-century American collection includes landscapes by Cole, Bierstadt, Cropsey, Richards, Hope, William Hart and James Hart, as well as portraits by Page, Street, Sully, Susan Waters and George Waters. A favorite is Waters’ 1881 painting created for his friend Mark Twain, Skating on the Pond. Originally hung at Quarry Farm, the Langdon family home where Twain did much of his writing, the painting is now part of the American Collections. The Museum’s Hudson River School Collection is traditionally on view throughout each Autumn, supporting the Museum’s education programming.

Other Details